You are here because you want to know how to add a favicon to your WordPress website or blog, right?
I`m gonna show you also how to create a favicon if you don`t have one already.
This tutorial is for WordPress version 4.2+. If you don`t know which WordPress version your site has please follow this easy tutorial: how to check WordPress version
The size of the favicon image also has to be: 512px width x 512px height.
First, let me explain how to add a favicon if you already have an image of this size, and then I will tell you how to create one ( Maybe you will change your old one )
How to add a favicon to your WordPress site
- Go to your WordPress dashboard
- Click on “Appearance” => “Customize”
- Click on “Site Identity”
- You will see a field called “Site Icon” saying that your image has to be 512 px wide and tall.
- If you have the image just click on “Select Image”
- “Upload Files”
- “Select Image” and you will see your new favicon just like in the image bellow
How to create a favicon for your WordPress site?
I don`t know if you heard about canva.com, but it is my favourite website when I want to create a banner for my websites or social media.
- Go to canva.com
- Login ( I`m already logged in with my Facebook account. You will see a screen like mine once you will login )
- Click on “Use custom dimensions” and insert “512” and “512”
- Click on “Design!”
- You will see now a screen like the one bellow and you can customise it.
- From the left part of the screen, you can add a background, text, elements or layouts. Most of them are free, but you can find paid ones also.
- After you finish designing your favicon, in the upper-right part of the website you will see “Download”
- Click on it, save the image to your computer and then upload to your WordPress site, as I showed you above.
Creating a favicon with CANVA won`t let you have a transparent background.
If you create your favicon on white background, then you will find plenty of places where you can remove it.
Check this editor: lunapic
If you have any questions please leave me a comment.