The question is: what do you need to start a blog or a website for personal or business use?
Well, I promise I will teach you with images, everything I know for FREE.
If you follow this tutorial step-by-step, I swear that you will be up and running in the next 30-60 minutes.
You will find all the information you need about how to launch your website today ( I don`t want you to leave netcrumb, just reserve some time, grab a coffee/tea, and you will have your site online )
Obviously, there are two ways to create a website:
free – wordpress.com or blogspot.com etc. extension
paid – yourawesomewebsite.com.
#1 Why start a blog?
- The first reason that comes to my mind is that you can make money by working from home or any place around the world.
- Share your ideas with other people that are passionate about what you have to say.
- Make new friends. People who will constantly read your blog will want to meet you, and there are also millions of other bloggers who will be happy to share ideas with you.
- Promote your business ideas. Let`s say that you will create a blog for your company. Content marketing is a strong way to gather clients by showing them what they can gain by working with you.
#2 Why not start a free blog?
- You will have no control over it. You will just be able to customise, and that`s it. Nobody will give you a free blog because they like you. They will win money from your hard work of writing and gathering visitors.
- Your blog will have ads, but you will not be able to make money out of it because the company that offered you a free blog will get it.
- If you invest time in writing and promoting your blog, then it will be very difficult to move to your domain.
- They can close it at any time, and you can`t do anything about it.
#3 Which blogging platform you should choose?
Sometimes a picture speaks a thousand words.
Anyway, you shouldn`t use it because there are millions of other people having their websites on it.
Why I think you should choose WordPress as your blogging platform
- You don`t need to have programming knowledge to launch your website with WordPress. Everything can be done with just some clicks.
- You don`t need to be a good designer because there are already WordPress themes beautiful made by other talented programmers and designers. A WordPress theme is the interface of your future site.
- It is very easy to use and intuitive. The WordPress backend can help you manage your pages and posts without getting lost.
- More and more people started to browse websites from their mobile phones. 99% of the WordPress themes are mobile responsive, and that`s why your site will look amazing on every device.
- There is a very big community which is ready to help and answer your questions. ( I`m one of the people who is willing to help you if you will send me a message. I promise I will answer all the emails )
- WordPress is search engine friendly. That means that you can optimise your website easily to be found on the first page of Google searches.
- It is safe and secure. You know there are a lot of hackers trying to access personal data, but WordPress is made with security in mind.
- You can create any website: Blog, eCommerce, business, etc.
This is just a few reasons that came to my mind, but I`m pretty sure that you will find much more once you start using it.
#4 What do you need to start your blog/website in the next hour of work?
Let`s count together 🙂
- You need money, I think of a reasonable 100 USD budget. Why? Because even if you will create the website you will still have to buy, the minimum, hosting and domain. But what is hosting and domain, right? ( Sorry if you already know what they are. Keep on reading please )
Hosting is the server your website will run on and its price can be from 70 to 100 USD per year.
Domain is the name of your website, like yourawesomewebsite.com
So let`s recap: Money to buy hosting and domain. That`s all? YES, just two things.
You will always be able to spend more if you want, but we will discuss it later.
#5 How to buy hosting and domain?
Before starting this process if you don`t have a domain name in mind let`s see how you can find ideas for a domain name:
There are two websites that can help you with that:
How do they work? You have to set some words related to your future website. Once you insert, let`s say two words, they can give you some suggestions.
The only problem with them is that they also show domain names which are not available even though they specify that.
On namemesh.com, you will have to check if the name that you like is available or not.
I usually go to godaddy.com and enter on their homepage the domain name. It takes 2 seconds 🙂
Let`s start buying what we need for your future website. Are you ready?
I`ve been using for the past years as a hosting registrar: Bluehost
I`ve tried different ones, but I had problems with my websites and now I use only this one.
- Go to Bluehost
- Click on the green button get started now
- Select a plan:
- Go for “basic” if you will have only one website
- Go for “plus” if you plan on developing more in the next year
- Enter your new domain and choose one of the free extensions
- If your domain is available, you will get a Congratulations message else you will get an unavailable message and will have to go back and enter a new domain name
- Enter account information
- On the package information
- Choose your account plan.
- Register for 12, 24 or 36 months, the longer you register, the cheaper it will be. Let`s choose one year so we can stick to the 100$ budget.
- UNCHECK all the other information
- Choose your account plan.
- Enter your payment information, agree with the “terms of service …” and click submit
- If Bluehost asks you to register additional things, don`t do it and continue further. The last step it will be a congratulations message that you have created an account, like the one bellow
- Create a strong password
Now you can log into your hosting account, and the next step will be to Install WordPress on your Bluehost account.
You have bought a hosting and registered a domain on Bluehost, so what now?
After you log in your account for the first time, you will get this pop-up. Close it. ( If you are not logged in your account go here: https://my.bluehost.com/web-hosting/cplogin )
#6 How to install WordPress?
- You will see several panels in your account, like helpful resources, marketing, email, etc. Scroll to the panel where you see “website.”
- Click on “Install WordPress”
- You will see a similar screen like the one bellow. Click “Get Started.”
- Select domain for installation
- Enter your domain starting with http://www.yourdomain ( Ignore the marketing bellow our boxes. Bluehost is very very good at cross selling)
- Don`t write any directory, leave it blank and click “Next.”
- Enter some title you want ( You can change it later ) – Optional
- Enter username & a strong password ( SAVE them in a notepad/word file because you will need later)
- Check all the boxes from the left and click “Install”
- At this point, WordPress is installed. Just WAIT and don`t go back, refresh or close the browser ( Bluehost will try to sell you again something, IGNORE please and wait for the installation )
- Installation Complete message.
#7 How to customise your WordPress blog?
At this point, if you will visit your website you will get a message like the one bellow.
Click on the “Admin Login” button if you visited your site in the browser or just access your domain name + /wp-admin:
You will be redirected to the WordPress login dashboard.
Enter username and password that you saved during the WordPress installation and click Log in.
If you logged in successfully, you would get a screen like the one bellow.
Click on “I don`t need help”, and you will be redirected in the WordPress Dashboard
- Click on it, so your website will be live ( visit your website now, and you will see the default WordPress template installed, like the one bellow )
#8 How to install a WordPress theme?
A WordPress theme is your blog interface/design.
Let`s install a FREE custom and beautiful WordPress theme
- In the left Menu Click on “Appearance” => “Themes”
- Scroll and click on “Add New Theme”
- Choose “Popular” tab and now let`s search for a beautiful theme ( You can install any theme you want, and you can change it how many times you want, but if this is your first time, maybe you want to follow me )
- I chose WordPress theme “Sparkling” ( If you can`t find it through all the themes just go up in the tab bar, where you click on popular, and in the right part of the screen you have “Search themes..” and enter “Sparkling” )
- Click the blue button “Install”
- After the theme is installed another button “Activate” will appear. Click it!
If you visit your website again in the browser, you will see a screen like the one bellow ( ONLY if you installed WordPress Theme Sparkling )
Now let`s customise it and add different things on it like pages, posts, upload media, plugins, widgets, etc. ( if you don`t know what the last two are, you will find in the next tutorials, don`t worry ).
Let`s continue to set up your WordPress website
#9 What is a WordPress Plugin and how to install it?
Is like a piece of software bound with WordPress that can you help do a lot of things which usually would require a programmer.
For example, if you want a contact form, or optimise your pages/posts for search engines, or gather emails from users or translate a website in different languages and the list can go on .. nowadays you can find almost any WordPress plugin .. thank you, developers, around the world.
Now let`s see how we can install one.
- From the left menu click Plugins => Add New
- In the right part of the tab, you have “Search”
- Enter the name of the plugin or anything that you will like to search. I will search a Contact Form plugin in this example ( Is something you can add in a page/post and people can send you an email ). I only added the word “contact”, and it returned most of the plugins that are related to my word
- 90% of the times look for one with many downloads and good reviews
- Once you decide which you like just click “Install” – I have selected Contact Bank – Contact Forms Builder
- To use it click on “Activate”
- After you activate it click in the WordPress left menu, on the Plugins tab and go to Installed Plugin
- You will see the Plugin installed if you activated it and you will also see it in the WordPress left the menu. NOTE: Not all the plugins are being installed on the left menu.
This is just the basics about how to install a WordPress plugin, but you will learn more in the future.
#10 What Settings should my WordPress blog have?
Things are very straight forward here, so we will not spend much time with this, but they are important.
To set the settings for your WordPress website go to the left menu and click on “Settings”
You will have the following tabs:
- Just write a title for your website
- It is optional to write a Tagline, you can delete what it is written in there
- Don`t do anything here
- Don`t do anything in here now. We will change some things later in the tutorial
- Don`t do anything here
- Don`t do anything here
- This is one of the most important things in Settings. Just select “Post Name” and click Save Changes. I will explain later why is important.
Good Job … What`s next?
#11 How to set up a menu for my WordPress blog?
- Go to Appearance => Menus
- Write a Menu Name ( I usually write Primary Menu )
- Click on “Create Menu”
- Your menu was created, and now we have to add things to it. We can add any page/post/category or custom link in it
Most menus have different locations where you can set it for your website. We will create now a Primary Menu ( it is not related to the name we gave )
- Check Primary Menu box from Menu Settings
- From the left box, where is written Pages, Posts, Custom Links, Categories
- Let`s add the Category, Post and Page that we have created in the previously tutorials or any others that you have on your account
- Check the page you created and click Add To Menu
- Then click on Posts and Categories, check and add them to the menu
- Click button “Save Menu“
You have created your first Menu. Good Job. Go to your website and check it out
We have some settings set up, let`s continue to create a Category that you will use for your posts
#12 How to create a Category for my WordPress blog?
To create Posts on your WordPress website, we will have to add a Category.
What is a Category? Is like a place where you keep all your posts or some of them.
For example, you want to write about cars. You will create a category called “Cars”.
- Go to the left menu “Posts” => “Categories”
- Enter a name and a slug ( usually set the slug name with lowercase letters, but this is optional )
- Click Add New Category
- Category was created, and you can see it on the right
Now let`s create a WordPress post and add it to the category we have just created.
We have created our first WordPress category and now we want to create our first WordPress post
#13 How to create a WordPress post?
- Go to the left menu and select “Posts” => “Add new”
- Write a title
- Enter your post
- As you can see here you can Bold the text, write it with Italic, use a bulleted list, numbered list ( Many features like you have in Word )
- In the right part of our screen, you have a tab with Categories
- Check your just created category and uncheck “Uncategorized” category
- Click “Publish”
Well done!!! Go to your website and check your first post. You will also see the default post that was created automatically by WordPress on your installation. We will create now a WordPress page
#14 How to create a WordPress page?
In the left menu go to “Pages” => “Add New”
- Enter a title for the page
- Enter text in the description box
So let`s recap a bit what we did because there were a lot of things done and you have to be proud:)
- Bought Hosting and domain
- Installed WordPress on hosting
- Installed a WordPress theme
- Set up General Settings for the WordPress website
- Created a Category
- Created a Post
- Created a Page
Now you can publish articles and show your website to the world.
Creating your website might seem like you need programming knowledge, but today it is very easy. All you have to do is read as much you can because information about how to create your blog is everywhere.
Once you manage to launch your website just start to learn how you can promote it.
Nothing is too complicated, and anyone can do it. Trust me!
Now, I would love to see your websites in the comments or if you have any questions or need some help don`t hesitate to contact me.